Thursday, January 12, 2012

2 Deep

Happy 2012!!! I hope that the new year is treating everyone well so far. We're almost 2 weeks in and I have 2 books so far to report on. Each literally took me combined about 2 days to read and both were quick and enjoyable.

1. Her Name Was Lola, Russell Hoban. I heard about this author by reading an article on (I think) Salon.com. The article said that he was more of a cult classic type of author with an underground following, on that cue I looked him up on Amazon and was hooked based on the reviews. The book that the article was mainly about was Riddley Walker, but I'm a sucker for one cent books on Amazon so I got this one first. Her Name Was Lola was weird, in a really good way. Parts of it reminded me of The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. It was a quick read w the perfect amount of redemption at the end. It was a fun, enjoyable, albeit a little cheesey, book.

2. Bright Lights, Big City, Jay McInerney. I have read one other book by McInerney and was surprised by how invested I found myself at the end with out knowing it. I wondered if this one would strike me the same way, it did by 1000! I've found that McInerney will lead me along and then grip my heart before I know that he's done so. His writing style is such an easy read that it makes you feel like you are just having an inner dialogue. The main character in this book is a mess and I wanted to both punch him and save him from the beginning but what happens in the end makes the story and your emotions settle into place. Take that as you will but I cannot wait to read more stories by this author.

As a heads up for the next post, the next 2 books I plan on reading are "You Don't Love Me Yet" by Jonathan Letham (of course) and a guilty pleasure "I Love Everybody" by Laurie Notaro. I hope you'll stay tuned.

Enjoy your books- The Reader

No comments:

Post a Comment